Saturday, February 16, 2008

Eleanor Summers 1905 - 1998


Peggy Taylor
One of my favorite teachers, was Miss Eleanor Summers. She taught me valuable work ethics that have helped
me all my adult life. I remember that Jewel Tea Company called Wellston looking for a secretary who was graduating in l957 to work in their office on Page Ave. Miss Summers took the time to recommend me, drive me there after school for the interview, wait for me in her car, then drive me home. I was hired and it became my first job after graduating. Luckily, there was a bus line near my home, so I was able to commute back and forth to work every day. to my first job after High School.
- Peggy Taylor '57



Bonnie Landsbury

I attended the Wellston School District from kindergarten through my high-school graguation in 1957. I had many
excellent teachers. One that stands out is Eleanor Summers. She taught business classes and was my teacher for typing, shorthand, and business machines in my junior and senior years, 1956 and 1957. Through her teaching I found I loved office work and was good at it. The skills she helped me develop led me to this field. My first job was just an okay job but later in life I got a clerical job at Southwestern Bell Telephone Company. Within a couple of years I got an administrative assistant job in the company and worked in that position until my retirement six years ago. I used the skills Miss Summers taught me through my work years.
Bonnie Landsbury '57


Patricia Miner
Miss. Eleanor Summers wasn’t my favorite teacher in high school. Her methods were not always appreciated, but I contributed to her frustration. She rapped my knuckles a time or two because I wanted to rest my hands on the keyboard and couldn’t seem to keep my feet flat on the floor. In looking back, I realize that she influenced many aspects of my life and I bet your life too. Can you imagine using the “hunt and peck” method on your computer? I still use shorthand even though I am no longer proficient. She was the National Honor Society sponsor and put personal time into making it a special club. I am ashamed to say that I didn’t value her as a wonderful and dedicated teacher. I would love to be able to give her a big hug and tell her how much I now appreciate her efforts to teach business skills and citizenship. It seems odd that I know very little about her life. I was so self-centered and lost in my own activities that I didn’t realize how important teachers like Miss. Summers would be in my life. Patricia Miner - Class of 1962

No comments: