Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Miss Turner - My Art Teacher and More


From Donna Hagan

I really had a hard time choosing just one teacher as a favorite. It is kind of like asking yourself to choose which one of your children you like best. It is impossible because each one has a personality all their own. They each have special qualities that make them who they are and make up those special memories that stick with you. I had more than one favorite teacher and for different reasons. But I think if I had to choose my all time favorite it would have to be Miss Turner.

I attended WHS during 1964-1968. I will never forget her art classes and how she pushed us to express ourselves. She saw something in everything we did - even if we didn’t. She was always there to guide your work and make suggestions without criticizing you or making you feel like you were a lousy artist.

I will always remember the time that we had to come up with a project involving paper Mache. We had to find an object and build around it. I made an Egyptian Goddess head with a Ball jar filled with sand as the base that sat on top of a piece of gray slate. She gave me an A+ on it and I thought for sure it was a flop. It was on display in the art case and at the end of the year she tried to buy it from me. I thought to myself, if it was good enough for her to purchase, it was good enough for me to keep. I did keep it for many, many years until one day it got knocked onto the floor and burst into pieces. I remember when it was destroyed the first thing that came to mind was Miss Turner. What would she think now?

The art class with Miss Turner has stuck with me over the years and has been very helpful in other ways. At work when they have to set displays they come to me for suggestions. It makes you feel good when people appreciate your talents. I don’t think I would have felt myself crafty in any way as a teen, but Miss Turner helped to draw that out of me. This self-expression that she pushed for in each of us has helped me express myself in many other ways as well. Thank you Miss T!

Donna Hagan Class of 1968 . . . ."Turn everything over to God and watch what happens!"

No comments: