Friday, February 22, 2008

# 2 Miss Esther E. Niles - 1908 - 1996

1996 Photo. Marilyn Jean and Miss Esther Niles.

The teacher I remember most clearly with much appreciation and affection was Esther Niles, our drama
and speech teacher. She always gave the impression that we could do well and succeed and this is what she expected of us. She was not easy, but if you obtained a compliment on performance it meant a great deal as she had high standards and praise from her meant a lot.

She impressed me so much at that time (remember this was the 40's) because she appeared to be very independent in the way she lived her life. I always had the feeling she was very much her "own person".


Many years later in 1990's I met Miss Niles again when she was a resident of a retirement community and I was a volunteer ombudsman there. She was still as vital and interesting as ever and had kept in touch with a number of her students over the years. Her intellect and curiosity were as active as ever and I later learned after her death she donated her body to Washington University. It did not surprise me that she taught to the end, and after.


Marilyn Jean Cederholm Westrich Class of 1949
--------------------------------------
Ralph A. Stege
My Favorite Teacher: Miss Esther Niles!
She was absolutely the "Best of the Best." She provided her students with the necessary 'tools' in becoming successful speakers. Miss Niles' personality, appearance, and charm were very well suited to captivate and instruct young 'men' in overcoming their beginner's embarrassment and becoming able to speak effectually and confidently to any audience. During my career, as a Manpower Control Officer, a position which I occupied as a Department of the Army Civilian (DAC) there were many required public speaking occasions. Public speaking was a vital component for the successful performance of my duties and responsibilities. This ability to give formal presentations and briefings before groups of very powerful, professional, and prestigious people was an absolute must. These presentations were always required when conducting official visits to numerous US Army facilities and installations throughout the United States and Europe. Thanks again, Miss Niles! You live in my Memory. - Ralph A. Stege '43
-------------------------

No comments: